"The strength of the team is each individual member. The strength of each member is the team."
- Phil Jackson
1. What is a Team Building Activity?
Events and activities that bring people together as a team, which increase motivation, promote cooperation, and help team members socialize.
They are a great way of improving communication, morale, motivation, productivity, helping employees or new teams to get to know each other better, and learning about one’s strengths and weaknesses.
2. What is my Team Building Activity Budget?
- Finance distributes the budget among C-Levels / Team Leaders at the beginning of the year and details will be communicated to everyone accordingly.
- C-Level/Department Lead can distribute the budget among their team leaders.
- Workplace Team will monitor and update C-Levels/Team Leaders with the remaining Team Building Activity budget on a quarterly basis.
3. How can I use the Team Building Activity budget?
You can use the budget to organize:
- Quarterly Business Review meetings (QBR).
- Team building activities (e.g. volunteering, sports activities, strategic games, after work drinks/socialize, day visits, virtual events, recreational activities, and others). "if you would like to coordinate a team volunteering activity, please contact Nina Zellweger.
Not included under the Team Building Activities Budget:
- Personal gifts.
- Personal expenses.
- Food and beverage not related to a pre-approved team building activity.
Note: Please make sure to secure C-Level/Team Leader approval via email before scheduling team building activities or QBRs. Also, transportation and meals while traveling to and from home will not be covered by the Team Building Activities budget. This is because these expenses are covered by our Travel & Expenses policy. There is a limit of 3 trips abroad per year.
4. What are the benefits of having a QBR or a Team Building Activity with your Team?
5. How can I organize the Team Building Activity Budget for my group?
The manager, business support or executive assistant is usually responsible for organizing the team building activities. The Office Managers role is to guide, assist and monitor the process.
Please contact email@example.com if you require support with:
- Transfers and accommodation
- Food & Beverage
- Meeting and training sessions setup and AV equipment details
6. How to submit your Team Building Activities expenses?
There are two ways of expensing your activities:
- Through invoicing (preferred)
Please follow the Finance’s invoice process which can be found in the Employee Portal.
Also note that you must attach approval from:
- Budget owner (C-Level or Area VP)
- Workplace Team.
- Through Expensify:
- Select category Team building activities or QBR Meetings.
- Attach C-Level/Team Leader e-mail approval, which is mandatory.
- Indicate on the “Description” field your department name and a detailed explanation of the activity. Example: “QBR for Marketing team - attended paint balling for building stronger relationships”
- Submit the expense report within 15 days after the event.
7. Recommendations for the organization